Unlicensed Registered Ministries

Unlicensed Registered Ministries

Complete your required Orientation II training

If you plan to open an unlicensed registered ministry, you must complete the Orientation II course. The information you learn provides a road map for you, including:

  • The steps you must take to become registered and the best way to complete those steps.
  • The forms you must complete and how to fill out that paperwork.
  • Resources to help you know whom to contact for what.

Complete additional required trainings

Depending on your role, you may have other training requirements:

We offer face-to-face sessions of  Safe Sleeping Practices and Reducing the Risk of SIDS in Child Care several times a month in locations across Central Indiana. Find out more about what’s available and register on I-LEAD though Indiana Learning Paths.

Find these additional required online courses online on I-LEAD through Indiana Learning Paths:

  • Indiana Health and Safety Orientation modules
  • Child Abuse and Neglect Detection and Prevention

Join an emerging provider cohort support group

Although not required for VCP, we highly recommend you join one of our emerging provider support groups. We meet on a regular basis so those interested in opening their own child care business can:

  • Hear from guest speakers on business topics, owning a child care, and licensing
  • Support each other
  • Get resources for getting up and running

Fill out our Provider Information Form to get connected to a program engagement specialist to learn about our current groups.

Understand and fulfill requirements for your building

You will learn more in Orientation II about what the state requires for a building and zoning codes, but you also should check with your local municipality. Prior to opening an unlicensed registered ministry, the building must pass on-site inspections for sanitation requirements as conducted by a Division of Family Resources Sanitarian and an inspection by the DHS, Building and Fire Safety Division. These inspections will be made semi-annually. You must register with the Division of Family Resources, Indiana Family and Social Services Administration, and the State Fire Marshal annually.

Learn more about the Voluntary Certification Program (VCP)

The VCP is available to all Indiana unlicensed registered child care ministry providers who want to ensure that they are meeting all basic health and safety needs of the children they serve. The voluntary program offers the tools, information, and assistance necessary to attain these standards. Read more or fill out our Provider Information Form if you have questions.

Invite us to do an onsite or virtual walk-through of your ministry

Although not required, our program engagement specialists can do a walkthrough of your ministry before your official VCP inspection. We can provide guidance on:

  • Environment and materials
  • Marketing
  • Administrative records and budgets
  • Lesson plans

Fill out our Provider Information Form to get connected to a program engagement specialist to make an appointment.

Submit your application

The application for unlicensed registered child care ministries includes items such as:

  • Attestation forms stating your program represents the religious organization responsible for the ministry
  • IRS documentation
  • Other checks

You will learn more in your Orientation II class.