Ouch! Biting Hurts
Biting by infants, toddlers, and two-year olds is a typical behavior. As children gain language, self-control, and problem-solving skills, they usually outgrow it. Yet, biting is often upsetting to families; understanding why your child is biting and how to support them is the first step in responding appropriately.
Why do young children bite?
Young children bite for many reasons and the reasons vary from bite to bite. Reasons may include, but are not limited to:
- Relieve teething pain
- Explore cause and effect
- Experience the biting sensation
- Satisfy oral-motor stimulation
- Develop self-control and problem solving skills
- Lack of verbal language skills
- Communicate or express needs or difficult feelings and emotions
- Feel strong and in control
- Imitate other children and adults
- Act in self-defense
- Get attention